Monday, May 16, 2011


At a party a friend and fellow fan of the gentleman’s wardrobe said in passing that she didn’t “care about women’s fashion”. I see her point (and at times agree with it) - aesthetically menswear succeeds where women’s does not. Still, that comment gave me pause since, of course, she is a (very beautiful) woman and wearing clothes that are quite à la mode. A lady might argue that her taste eschews the standard trappings of women’s fashion, but it’s still all about fashion. In the past couple years I have noticed it: chicks (myself included) pilfering the boys’ departments, donning bow ties and selvedge denim and work shirts and making them our own. The menswear becomes womenswear, and to say one doesn’t care about it… Well, of course she does!
I think we forget in this great style debate taking place across a rather vast (and noisy) forum that fashion and style are not opposing forces. The clothes on our backs may inspire us to walk taller or dip lower or throw the martini in his face, but style and that sprezzatura to which we all aspire can radiate from a potato sack. Hell, I feel most confident naked. So to the girls who love to raid their boyfriends’ closets and say they don’t care about women’s fashion or are disheartened by its trends and directions, I say toss your hair and take a little more pride in the fact that when you steal his sweater, you make it yours. A woman’s wear. 

No comments :